Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Classic

I am not a huge fan of classics. I have read quite a lot of them but at times, i just get put off by the ideas propagated by most of them. I am not a feminist per se, but it does irk me to see women portrayed as dumb commodities in some of the classics and yeah, another reason for my not reading them is that i am quite impatient. :)

Anyways, I had gotten a copy of the complete Short stories of Oscar Wilde and set about reading the same. The more i read it, the more i liked it. :) He has made fun of the victorian era, the hypocrisy of  the people who are rich and have nothing better to do in life and somehow brought out the contrast between the haves and have nots. True, it is a wee bit melodramatic at times, but I have to give him some credit as it was one amazing read.

I got to know that the picture of Dorian was met with a lot of negative reviews and now i know why. I had read it as a kid/very young adult and now when i reread it, i had to marvel at his mockery and his sense of justified anger which i thought was prelevant throughout the pages.

I guess now i have to add him to my  list of favorites once again after blacklisting him a few years ago for multiple reasons.

Hail Oscar Wilde!

No comments: