Sunday, December 26, 2010

Good Omens

Yeah, I know I said I am over Pratchett. Reality, however had a surprise for me. I was looking at my cupboard when i found this one which i had not yet finished. Good omens is a combined effort by Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. It is not set in discworld so i did miss my favorite characters in the book.

The story revolves around the coming of the apocalypse and the struggle of 2 angels (one from Heaven and the other from Hell) to prevent the same. Satan's son is exchanged with that of a Russian diplomat. But like all great things go, there is a goof up here as well and the kid is brought up in a small place completely in the middle of nowhere. He uses his powers unintentionally and creates an ideal world for himself. ( i envied him in this bit)

In the meanwhile, a witch aided by the book written by one of her ancestors starts hunting for Satan's son and reaches Tadfield. She loses her book of prophecies and what happens when the devil and the angel get their hands on it forms the rest of the story.

It was initially an enjoyable read, however, it got a wee bit boring towards the later half. I would still recommend this book for its amazing language and brilliant sense of satire. I loved it because I hate horror and this book made horror movies seem damn funny. :D

No comments: