Friday, April 22, 2011

Interpreter of Maladies - Jhumpha Lahiri

A few posts ago, I was praising flipkart. This is a post about a book i got through them. I had been meaning to read this collection for a really long time. I had read one or two stories in college, but i had never finished all of them.

I started it last night and finished it all in one go! Poignant, simple, beautiful and of course elegant. Those are the words I would like to use to describe the stories. Be it the husband and wife with the dead child, the buri ma who has lost all in the partition, the epileptic who is dependent on a cousin, the interpreter who doubles as a taxi driver or the bengali guy seeking his fortune overseas waiting for the wife he hardly knows to join him, all these characters are vividly portrayed.

I loved the experience of reading the book. The vivid descriptions by the author, the simple story line and the powerful stories simply took my breath away. I have been meaning to complete my short story collection for quite a while now. Reading this book has motivated me all the more to get it going. I would recommend it quite strongly. :)

No comments: