Monday, April 11, 2011

Jaya - an illustrated Mahabaratha

I stumbled upon this book quite by accident. I had made a bet with someone that Srilanka would win the world cup (yeah yeah think about beating me up). Anyway to cut a long story short, i had to get this person books. (A fellow geek you see). I was browsing through his wish list in flipkart when this book caught my eye. I am reading a lot on mythology now and so, I bought it.

This is a book about the Mahabaratha. A very simple, elegant and beautiful book full of a lot of stories, some of them not quite popular. The author looks at the whole scenario with a critical non judgemental eye. Never is there a villain or a hero. It is all about individuals, about forgiveness about how those who are good can become weak and about the grey area where one cant distinguish black and white.

This is not a book for children. This is not a book for someone who is not open minded. This is a book which will entertain you, teach you and at the same time, make you think. I loved it and I would really recommend it to anyone who wants some good, light reading that is also a bit heavy. :)

No comments: