Thursday, May 19, 2011

Life is what you make it - Preeti Shenoy

I read Preeti's blog from time to time. I came across her when i was blog hopping. I was really curious to read her book and when i went to flipkart in an attempt to get rid of my boredom, i was surprised to find her second book for Rs.60.  I was so surprised and also happy. I ordered it and finished it in one sitting.It is definitely a well written book and the story is also engrossing. I could not stop reading it and sat up till quite late after a long time to finish a book. :)

The story is about Ankita, a smart and an ambitious girl who has everything in life and slowly loses it all. In her, the author has brought to life a character that most of us would be able to relate to. We witness her growing up through college and then enter an MBA program in a premier institute giving up many things in the process. We watch as she becomes very focused and starts scaling new heights and then fall into the most pathetic state possible - that of wanting to end her life, all because of this strange disease. The book tries to spread awareness about the bipolar disorder and it succeeds in doing the same. (Atleast in my case, i did read up about the disease. :)) The rest of the plot is about how she grows up in more ways than one when faced with adversity in her life.

I will not say that this is a very great book that one should not miss or that it will change your life. I will only recommend it because it is an engrossing read and it does depict the life and experiences of a young adult in India. I found those parts quite real and beautiful. Do give it a chance. She has a way with words. She has also inspired me to work harder on my book too. :)

1 comment:

rohit said...

Must be an enjoyable read Life Is What You Make It by Preeti Shenoy. loved the way you wrote it. I find your review very genuine and original, this book is going in by "to read" list.