Sunday, May 08, 2011

Unaccustomed earth

I have been trying to write short stories for quite a while now. I have a collection of around 10-15 previously unpublished ones with me. After i read Jhumpa Lahiri's previous book, "Interpreter of Maladies" i was inspired to continue writing and editing. This one, only managed to egg me on.

The first story in the collection beautifully details a father daughter story and also that of a man wanting a normal life. I am not sure which one in this collection is my favorite- whether it is the story  of a bengali woman and an adopted brother in Hell heaven or that of a Sang, or that of the brother and sister in "Only goodness". They were definitely better than the stories in the second half of the book dedicated to Hema and Kaushik.

But that was mainly because the author demonstrates quite beautifully how a really long story is not required to bring out the depth of a character in the same. I loved the collection and I am glad I ordered the same from flipkart. An enchanting, deep and at times disturbing read that brings alive the many characters in its pages to an attentive reader.

No comments: