Monday, August 10, 2015

Hope amidst darkness

There's a stray that's been living in our gated community for a long time (around three months now ) and a couple used to feed it.

Today all of a sudden, the women in the road gathered together and started shouting at the couple for feeding the dog. Now it's a female dog with two broken legs. She's been limping and not troubling anyone because she's not strong enough. The children throw stones and poke her with umbrellas. She doesn't snap or react.

I befriended her on Thursday before leaving for a vacation, hoping to re-home her sooner than later. She loved to be touched and was delighted when we petted her. I thought shed be in a safe place soon. My dogs have been scaring her away so she finally came to me when our gundas had gone to the day care. But before the best laid plans could be implemented, things went south. My grand dad used to be scared of strays too and chase them away. So perhaps its karma coming back to bite me now.

Unfortunately the neighbors weren't as tolerant and were convinced the stray would eat their kids.

I don't have children so I am not supposed to understand these things or their fears.

But I know its inhuman to drag a dog out with a plastic wire and throw it out and also that it's bad manners to shout at your neighbors who feed them like you bargain in a fish market.
I was getting ready to go out and hence couldn't react to the drama in my semi clad state. I was petrified of what they'd do to the dog and was trying to call up an NGO for help. Then I saw a lady hunting for a rope. I spoke to her and realised the couple wanted to keep the dog. I was surprised to say the least. Apparently the dog had come back inside after being thrown out. Maybe food motivated it but i think love also played a role. The family wanted to give her a chance.

We helped them by giving them leashes and calling for a doc to vaccinate her. Now she seems happy. I'm not sure if they'd keep her long enough ( a remark motivated by my mistrust of people in general)but today as much as I lost my respect for people, I also found hope, so I am not complaining. Also, Cindy does seem happy. Her legs haven't been fractured, so that's good news.

4 comments:

The Visitor said...

My wishes to Cindy and her caretakers - I hope they persevere.

Harini Padmanabhan said...

Unfortunately they did not. :(

The Visitor said...

PS: They could explore the possibility of keeping a food bowl outside the compound, if they feel taking her in is too much of a commitment.

Harini Padmanabhan said...

She comes back in. That is the problem.