Friday, December 04, 2015

A remote observer

Social media has become a very powerful tool over the last few years. It is such an intricate part of our lives, that a lot of us have forgotten how things were before the advent of this medium. While it is a curse in a lot of instances, seeing how social media is helping folks connect to each other, find lost people, organize relief efforts and saves lives in Chennai last week, I am forced to change my opinion.

I am but a remote observer with family in Chennai who are all thankfully safe (Divine intervention I am sure) . Facebook opened my eyes to the state of people I know all over the city. A friend has asked me to help coordinate efforts all over the city while sitting in Bangalore and that has got me interested and excited. Whether it is going to be of a huge help to people or not, the effort will give me some peace of mind.

Disasters can strike anyone, anywhere and when it does, it doesnt matter how rich you are, or how big your house is, or how many cars you have. Everything just floats away.

No comments: