Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Attachment for Detachment

There was a time in my career, when nothing mattered more than my job. It would be an understatement to say that I was obsessed with my work. I couldn't think of anything else to do. Even reading and travelling took a back seat. I researched, thought, strategized about what to do, how to do, how my life will change if i do A first instead of B and so on.

I wasn't an MBA and that led to a lot of introspection, especially when relatively sane friends went insane with MBA preparations. There were just so many aspects to life that made it very complicated and I was lost. Even moving into a brand new house did nothing much to reduce my stress.

One fine day, two years ago, we thought about getting a dog. Through a strange twist of fate, we found one in 15 days. Life changed for the better after that as I had the best teacher living with me. 

A dog taught me to take life one day at a time.

A dog taught me to love unconditionally and to always be happy

A dog reminded me that beauty can be found in the smaller things in life.

A dog accepted me for who I was, however I was.

A dog made me to finally just let things be.

I still love my job and I love to work, but I am learning the art of distinguishing work and life and trying to do justice to both. It is a very long road and I still become obsessive and upset, but I know that I am on the right path. I know that my path is going to be carved by me and me alone and that no matter what happens, I will have a couple of companions walking right next to me.

2 comments:

The Visitor said...

True ... about dogs I mean. :)

Harini Padmanabhan said...

:)