Saturday, January 23, 2016

Conversations

In the last two weeks, i have met some of the most interesting people through one medium. Much to my surprise, it was actually Uber. Unlike in India, in the US, most of the Uber drivers are part time. Their full time jobs are very diverse - I was picked up by a security analyst, a naval officer, an ecommerce entrepreneur, a retired teacher etc.

Everybody had driven other Indians around and had quite a few questions about the country. One person who was full time in fact took my inputs to plan a trip here.

I think I have a certain luck. Irrespective of the country, I end up having a very enlightening conversation with people from different walks of life. Perhaps it is because I am open to it, perhaps it is because I love to talk to a variety of people irrespective of their background. I know not.

These conversations often open a whole new world to me. I met this young boy while waiting for a train. He told me that his parents in Mexico had not been ready to support his lifestyle and hence he came to the US to drive  a car. He is planning to grow marijuana with his brother. Now, I don't know if it is legal. But in the few minutes, I was talking to him, I thought he was a nice human being. All of us have so many aspirations.

Some come true, some do not. But once we recognize that at the end of the day, we are all the same because we imagine and that inspires us, life becomes much simpler.

No comments: