Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Pragmatist vs. Idealist

I am an idealist (or so I liked to think). But being an idealist at all times isolates you from the world around you and actually places you at a disadvantage. Also, once someone knows you are an idealist, you become easy to predict and they try to take advantage of that. 

Over a period of time, as I have evolved, I tried to be pragmatic. Every time I think i have been pragmatic, my friends have pointed out that my reaction has been idealistic and even naive in a few instances. 

So I have come to the conclusion that there is just a relative scale. It is like someone telling me that a lady who says "idiot", "stupid" is foul mouthed when I am so used to hearing the f word. So while I might think I am being pragmatic, someone is actually calling me an idealist and while I am calling myself an idealist, someone else is calling me an opportunist.

Life can never be black or white and these shades of grey, will drive me crazy if I continue to keep staring at them. Labels have to be banned..

2 comments: