Saturday, April 16, 2016

Rules

Anyone driving in India can see how rules are ignored even by the most educated. Doesn't matter what you drive or how long you've been driving. You get a strange joy out of over taking, cutting someone and generally being a pain. I'm scared of someone hitting my car, so I'm overly cautious.

But I've come to accept that not just in the road, but even in other places, people are happy when they manage to break a rule or two. They can't help bragging either. What dictates this behavior? This from those that seem very polite and decent. Squeezing in extra hand baggage, boarding in the wrong zone, forgetting to pay a bill and getting out of it the list goes on.
Perhaps if I understand this need to rebel, I might understand human behavior better and adapt or at least stop complaining.

4 comments:

The Visitor said...

I like to break rules, particularly when they seem to serve no purpose. However, I'd like to thinks I don't break rules (cheat) to get some benefit out of it.

Harini Padmanabhan said...

You know, i often think that cheating is being misconstrued as being free and smart.

The Visitor said...

Sad, if people think that way. :-|

Harini Padmanabhan said...

Yeah. I agree.