Wednesday, April 27, 2016

What it takes

When I was a kid, all I wanted to do was excel in school. I loved studying. I'd rather study than go out and play. I always saw the results of the hard work immediately. I either stood first or second in class (third in a few depressing occasions).
After I went to college, I changed. Or thought I did. I just found a different thing to obsess about. A different kind of success. It became all about pushing myself to excel in areas I knew nothing or very less about. Again, results were relatively short term.

Now, as I'm accepting that I'm an adult, I've not made my peace yet with the fact that success is not just about your work. I mean, in a way it is, but work here is a combination of how you behave towards someone, how you decide to interpret things, how someone decides to react to you, how much you help or hinder each other, how much you are able to actually do something, how much you are ready to sacrifice and how much you're ready to evolve.

What it takes to succeed is a complicated recipe which deludes us by looking simple. Succeed in forming a relationship, retaining one, reaching a personal goal, a professional one, it doesn't matter. I just don't know how to simplify life. It looks complicated and I'm enjoying it for sure, but sometimes for a few seconds, I want the ideal.

4 comments:

The Visitor said...

Mmmm. Looks complicated.

BTW - what is the ideal? I sure don't know what it is.

And what is success? Does everyone have to succeed? Is it OK to NOT succeed? Perhaps, not living up to an ideal is also success (an individual perspective).


PS: Am I confusing?

Harini Padmanabhan said...

I dont think the ideal even exists. Rather, there is no standard ideal. There is just what works for someone at that point in time. So, success can be not living up to someone elses ideal and just creating your own. (Am i more confusing? :))

The Visitor said...

So, success can be not living up to someone elses ideal and just creating your own.
Yesss!

No, you're perfectly lucid. :)

Harini Padmanabhan said...

Someone calling me lucid when I'm writing after such a long day.. Awesome!!!