Sunday, May 15, 2016

Identity

What is your identity? Is it your name? Your job? Your family? Your lifestyle? Your friends? Often it is a combination of things that can be defined. But the truth as far as I'm concerned, is that an identity can never be something you can explain easily.

It's usually an idea, an emotion that defines you in a way that you cannot easily write down. It is as indescribable as it can be described. When someone asks me who I am, I can give them my name, but I can't really define who I really am to someone, can I? Even those that i claim to know, surprise and shock me often. I think I hardly know them, but perhaps it is better to say that I've just misread some parts of the multiple that make up a person.

Maybe giving it all up and just limiting interactions with the unknown is easier. As simple as life can seem, it is as complicated. The geek in me is lost when I'm in new situations involving things that can't be rationalized. Perhaps I want to stick to the identity of being a geek and forgetting that I've one of being black widow too.

3 comments:

The Visitor said...

Very interesting questions and observations.

I have a question or some questions -

Why are you so interested in knowing the answer to the questions that you asked?
Can you not live a (happy) life without knowing the answers?\
Do you need to define who/what you are to live your life?
Does defining that (who what you are) change the way you live your life?
Do you need to always rationalize every situation? Why is it not possible to just accept and live life?

Harini Padmanabhan said...

I guess it all boils down to how I interact with the world. I try to think it's rational but emotions also play a role. Trying to define myself helps me understand myself and my motivations better and also helps me figure out what drives my emotions. I haven't understood my identity a hundred percent and I'm still happy and enjoying my life most days, so it doesn't seem linked. It's just my attempt.

Harini Padmanabhan said...

I guess it all boils down to how I interact with the world. I try to think it's rational but emotions also play a role. Trying to define myself helps me understand myself and my motivations better and also helps me figure out what drives my emotions. I haven't understood my identity a hundred percent and I'm still happy and enjoying my life most days, so it doesn't seem linked. It's just my attempt.