Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Conversations with a dead poet

"I hold it true, whate'er befall; I feel it, when I sorrow most; 'Tis better to have loved and lost Than never to have loved at all."

When I first read these lines, I actually laughed my heart out. I mean, why the hell would you say that losing in something is even a good idea? Then as I grew up, I realized that, half the works of art and literature I admired came from heartache of one form or the other. So perhaps, for the larger world in general, the heartache of a few is good. 

Even later in life, when I realized how important experiences were, I started accepting that it is better to experience something to the fullest - whether love(even the one sided variety, especially that if you ask me), or a job or a book and then let go. 

Letting go is a pain in the ass, but you evolve so much as an individual when you go through the whole nine yards and funnily, you never have a "What if" haunting you. A "what if" that you could have helped. There will always be a "What if we had ended up together?", "What if I had gotten that job?", "What if i had actually learnt to ski". 

Still, given the beauty that is life, over a period of time, even the deepest of wounds heal and the scars(if they remain) remind us every day as to how strong we are. So yes, dear Tennyson, it is better to have loved and lost but where i would like to change the thought is that, it is not a loss. It is a conquest. A conquest over one's self, a conquest to help us becoming who we are supposed to become. 

I hate the negative tone of the word loss. There is no success or failure. There is just experience. There is just passion. There are just memories. Some meant to remain in the past, some meant to be recreated when needed. 

No comments: