Friday, June 24, 2016

When logic fails

I have a strange problem - which is as much a blessing as it is a curse. I cannot function without logic after a certain point. I try to rationalize every damn thing and after a point, that rationalizing becomes such a curse because emotions are not rational. 

Logically, you know something is not good for you, but you cannot let it go because emotionally that just has you under its thrall. Logically, you know something is good for you, but you cannot seek it out, because emotionally, you are attached to what you have as of that point in time. 

Right now, I have seen a logical end and emotions are playing catch up and in a way, I am a complete mess. I have to get my life back in order and then, just move on. I know I can, I know I will, but I dont know if everything will ever even be as good. 

What if this is as good as it gets? Can I ever live with knowing that letting go of something that was good because of a few fundamental issues was the right thing to do?

6 comments:

Sun Ray said...

Everything is no doubt rational & logical. humans are a result of science (evolution) & math (probability) - which are not emotional at the least. so, how can humans be emotional? a father being affectionate towards a daughter & mother towards son might be seen emotional, but its pure Freudian logic. maybe, whenever humans are out of depth in logic, the emotional word crops up? having said that, I had to converse with a married women for professional reasons recently. I asked her "do you trust your husband?". she replied "yes, he's part of me". I was stunned. Am tempted to label that as emotional. But, just as confusing!! ... "complete mess" - if you are happy being in that state, then cool. else, what's the point of doing everything else? if you had let things go bcoz of fundamental issues, then are no better reasons for that. RIP.

Harini Padmanabhan said...

I don't buy the whole someone is a part of me thing. That's probably the cynic in me, but I think what's more accurate is, were an entity and that's my identity now.
Funnily, you're one of the few people I know who've said that letting go of something because of fundamental issues is a good enough reason. Most seem to think issues ought to be fixed. I belong to a slightly different school of thought that says, not all issues should be if it changes who you basically are. (my comment should become a post by itself).
Just curious, are you a counselor or a cop or a lawyer? 😃

Sun Ray said...

Just saw the comment. Am a maths teacher & read up on many subjects, psychology being one of them. The question was part of an interview.

Harini Padmanabhan said...

Psychology is fascinating. I've been contemplating a course in that for quite a while.

Sun Ray said...

I would recommend http://www.amazon.in/30-Second-Psychology-Thought-provoking-Theories-Explained/dp/184831261X . important theories explained in a page each. Should quench your curiosity. Let me know if you read it.

Harini Padmanabhan said...

I'll pick it up when I'm in the US. Looks interesting for sure.