Sunday, July 24, 2016

When all is said and done

When all is said and done, at the end of the day, all that's going to remain, is hopefully a hand full of dust. That in itself is in a few cases unlikely.  Then, what's the point of it all? If all that remains is nothing, what's the point of all the joy, the sorrow, the heartache? Going down this line of thinking depresses me to no end.

Whenever this thought upsets me, I tell myself that in a lifetime, there are some moments that truly take your breath away. They come from nowhere and not always with the people you expect. Those moments are worth all the craziness. All of us have those. We just need to acknowledge it.

There are some moments, which help you create something that stands the test of time at least for a short period(I love old buildings, paintings, temples and sculptures). It won't be everyone who gets to do it, but all of us in a way contribute to the art and the thought that survives. The romantic in me thinks that the muse is always unknown and eternal in a few cases.

2 comments:

Sun Ray said...

Didn't get your last line about the muse & eternal stuff. I never thought about breath taking moments being the raison d'etre. Are you saying breath taking moments are worth the sorrow, joy, hardships etc?

Harini Padmanabhan said...

Yes. I think the breath taking moments are worth everything. Muse - you never know what inspired Wordsworth to write or Van Gogh to paint all the time. The muse is as eternal as the artist, but unknown. :)