Sunday, July 03, 2016

When life is over

Today, I was talking to someone and I heard an off remark about how life was over because something happened. I was taken aback. I then thought for sometime as to what I would call the end of life. It would actually be the minute I stopped breathing. Nothing else.

How can anything else mean that when you have the ability to breathe, the ability to eat and live in a house? It can be the end of life as you know it(happened quite a few times to me ) but how can it be anything else?

Doesn't this defeatist attitude lead to things going from bad to worse? You are your thoughts, because thoughts becomes actions and actions dictate outcomes(I'm misquoting something I've read for sure) so how can you not face reality and think of ways to cope that are positive?

Is my practical thinking making me less emotionally involved? Is it better that way? I really don't know.

7 comments:

Sun Ray said...

Let me try to understand visually - Imagine that a person's attachment to everything in life (person or own business or a belief, etc) can be a sum total of 100 points. Meaning spouse takes a weight of say 20 point, dad takes a weight of 18, mom is at 15...own business at 25...such that the total of everything is 100. Now, for the person whom you overheard, say, he met with a business failure. The 25 points that the business means to him is at stake. Or 25% of his life has lost its meaning & he's looking at a big void in that space. The bigger the void, longer is the recuperation time. What happens if a person lost something with a weight of 90 points? Would it throw him off balance? Definitely Yes. Is it defeatist attitude? If the loss is at 90 points, then a lot of life goes with it - sense of reality, rational thought, intelligence, etc bcoz the loss is so great. It does take time for the brain to fill the void with something - which is when brain realizes the need to move on. After all the objective of the brain is to continue life with happiness. Remember 'time heals wounds best'?. E.g. old people unable to take sudden demise of a child, or a breakup or retired people going crazy bcoz they lost their work life (40 points).

No emotions here. Logic. Sorry for being verbose. Not sure if am not clear.

Harini Padmanabhan said...

Logic will play catch up with emotion but life cannot be over. Until you stop breathing. I don't try to make the pain seem any lesser. It will be horrible. No doubt. But, life is not over. Life is a combination of the pain, the joy and the will to live. Even if your world revolves around something you no longer have.. you still have yourself and life cannot be over.

Harini Padmanabhan said...

And I ask you again, you sound like a counselor. Are you one?

Harini Padmanabhan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Harini Padmanabhan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sun Ray said...

Am a teacher. Sorry if my comment was preachy.

Harini Padmanabhan said...

No. Don't think it was preachy. I found the logical allocation interesting. Was wondering if you were an analyst later.