Thursday, August 11, 2016

Embracing the dark

Within all of us, there is a very dark part. This part is seldom seen and acknowledged by us. The whole world gets to glimpse it on and off, (depending on how much you express your emotions). We are often told that it is important to be happy. But I guess the important message we miss is that, we have to be able to embrace all aspects of our personality. The dark, the light, the anger, the joy and the depression. It is not easy. It is especially difficult, if you condition yourself to remain positive. I met this brilliant poet named Arundhathi, who told me, being positive is not about always being happy and cheerful. It is about actually being able to see the different shades of black and still embracing it. It is about being hopeful about life, with all its shades. 

This weekend, I scared myself with the kind of poetry I was writing. I never knew I could write something like that and in a way, embracing the dark has set me free. Perhaps, I will post it in my blog or I will get it out as a book. I dont know. I just have to make an effort to write. (One reason the blog has been relatively inactive is because I have been writing poetry that I don't post. :)

3 comments:

Sun Ray said...

You really should publish your poems. If you don't give Harini a chance, who would?

Harini Padmanabhan said...

Yes. That's what I've been thinking too. But I need to be much more patient and edit it a lot before publishing. Right now, none of my posts are edited. :)

Harini Padmanabhan said...

Yes. That's what I've been thinking too. But I need to be much more patient and edit it a lot before publishing. Right now, none of my posts are edited. :)