Friday, January 27, 2017

Growing up

This morning, I realized something. I wont say it was like a sudden out of the blue realization. It was more like that pleasant high creeping in and hugging me close, sneaking up on me and catching me unawares, though I knew it was right around the corner.

It was the realization that, life does not always go the way you want. You can plan, you can work, you can dream, you can hope, but you cannot help the end result. Everything is not in your control. As much as you might like to pretend it to be. 

Growing up is about learning which are the battles to pick, which are the ones to let go and which are the ones to revisit on a later day. It is about accepting that life is really much longer than just a few weeks or months. 

In this world of instant gratification, we expect everything to work ASAP. (Well, I do) We expect to see results for all the work we put in. But, good things take time. Sometime, they never happen too. It is not always just my fault. I just need to learn to let go and man, it is a torture. I need to learn to fail and that, I think is the key to growing up. 

I sound like a cliche, but this line from a song comes to my head. Love you Zindagi, for helping me grow up and for watching with a quirky smile when I am full of self importance. I am proud to call myself - "A work in progress"

4 comments:

Sun Ray said...

Reminds me of this read somewhere.. "be patient.. God isn't finished with me yet". But these battles, joys, plans, successes, failures .. stops making sense after a point.. why?

Harini Padmanabhan said...

I think it stops making sense when we stop believing. Hope is not an easy thing.

Sun Ray said...

Hmm, Believing in Self? Life? Future happiness?

Harini Padmanabhan said...

Believing that a ray of sunshine is worth days of clouded skies