Friday, March 03, 2017

Dealing with rejection

Dear Harini,

Thank you for your application for a Stegner Fellowship. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you a place in the program. However, we wanted to let you know that your application was read with great care and appreciation. It is through the vibrancy and commitment of work like yours that the program is able to depend on an applicant pool of immense talent. Every year, after reading the submissions, all of us wish we had more fellowships to offer.

We want to thank you for your interest in the Stanford Creative Writing Program, and offer you our best wishes for your future work.

- Stanford University Creative Writing Program


I had applied for the Stegner fellowship for poetry. I knew I had very low chances of getting through, but I wanted to give it a shot. What it ended up achieving was, it made me write a lot of poetry in the last few months. Ok, let me backtrack. I had started writing a lot of poetry after a few interesting incidents and hence, i decided to apply for the Stegner fellowship to see if I can get a chance to just sit and write for a very long time. 

I felt sad when I did not get through, but I am not devastated. Yay Harini - you are learning to accept your limitations and your failures as just incidents..

When I was much younger, i thought i was invincible. Even now, i think my spirit is indomitable (my favorite lines from Invictus come to my head) Now, I just want to reiterate, I am a constantly evolving, changing, improving individual. If I was born perfect, where is the fun in that? So world, here i am, ready to try, knowing fully well that there are going to be more dents in my armor as I want things that are not easy. Ill learn to be kind to myself. 

4 comments:

Sap said...

Harini

I just stumbled on your blog. I am so happy to see that you applied. Why dont you apply to some more schools? You can also consider University of Houston. It doesnt have the brand that a Stanford or Harvard does, but it has a pretty good creative writing program (Chitra Banerjee of Mistress of Spices is a part of it). I have a high school friend who is professor there - I can put you in touch if you are interested.

Yours
Sap

Harini Padmanabhan said...

Hey! I just emailed you. Let's catch up.

Sun Ray said...

Keep going. Reminds me of "Be patient. God isn't finished with me, yet".

Harini Padmanabhan said...

Hmmm. Good thought