Friday, July 14, 2017

Familiarity

I have made a few lifestyle changes in the last few months. One, I never thought I would make, even a year ago. Life has funny plans for all of us and while at a certain point, everything seems transient and annoying, you realize, hindsight is definitely 20/20. I have also come to accept that the fear of something is any day far worse than the thing itself. Probably because I have an active imagination and a lot of time in my hands. 

I look at all those things that are familiar today and I realize that they were unfamiliar and even unknown sometime ago. Fear of the unknown does control me to some extent. But then, the known is itself unfamiliar sometimes and then, I wonder, isn't the unknown at least new? 

Yesterday, I did something that is scaring the hell out of me. I am not ready to talk about it in a public forum yet, but the more i think of the cocoon of familiarity i am letting go of, the braver I am becoming. A friend told me, life becomes about failure only if you look at it as a report card. If you look at it as a giant experience, it becomes about the beautiful experiences you go through and the lessons you learn - from the seemingly unpleasant ones and what you find out about yourself. I am no longer fully familiar with this beast called Harini. :) Getting reacquainted now. 

4 comments:

Sun Ray said...

Cool.. your words on the report card & life as a canvas of experiences is nice.. have never heard it before..

What lifestyle changes you made, just curious ?#$-+&$@#

Is it with tasting the wine? Jogging? Cycling? Pets? Bringing out the poet in you? Travel.. you seem to do a lot, so it may not be the change you are referring to.. what is it? No clues?


Harini Padmanabhan said...

Something quite major and one I never thought I'd make. Can't talk about it in a public forum yet. ;)

Sun Ray said...

Sure sure. Some other time :) good luck

Harini Padmanabhan said...

I'll email you perhaps. You'll get why I can't post it. :)