Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Montmartre

We had a very interesting walking tour in Montmartre, the place the artists live.

The place was apparently named after St. Dennis (Martyr's mount) who was supposed to be crucified on top of it. He believed in his faith so much that he sang songs all the way carrying the crucifix. The soldiers with him got so irritated that they cut his head off. The saint, folklore claims picked up his head and continued to walk up the mountain. There were quite a few people praying near his statue. Faith - such a strange thing. 


A slightly different view of the Sacre Coeur. I loved the green, blue and the grey contrast. The church where the prayers never stop. I loved the ambiance and got a very beautiful bookmark.

Probably, it was studying in a catholic school, but I just love going to churches.


2 comments:

Sun Ray said...

Cool.. I wonder how you remember the details so vividly.. is it your memory? Or your interest in these? Or the guide? :)

Harini Padmanabhan said...

I've a good memory. Plus this was a trip I wanted to go for a very very very long time, so lot of things about it are very special to me. I wish I could remember more. :)